Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 51: Many Levels

This morning we had some tasty French toast for breakfast! It is nice to start the day with a good meal before taking the taxi to Notre Dame. When I arrived at school this morning, I used my preparation time during the first period for working on my blog and emails. It is challenging finding the time to work when there is so much to experience here in Kyoto and so many great opportunities for me within Notre Dame Elementary, but I do my best.

Afrela and Miko Sensei had English lessons with the first grade classes today, so I joined them. We had the students practice the family terms which we have been teaching them, and then they drew their family. I drew my family on the chalkboard for the kids to use as an example. My drawings were not very good, but some of the students’ were. They had to draw their family in their workbooks and then play a game with their partner in which one person points and asks, “Who’s this?” The other student answers accordingly, “This is my brother.” I really like using music to teach English, and so do Miko and Afrela. We sang the body song and then the family song. Each song has its own gestures which the students enjoy doing very much. Mr. Yukita videotaped the opening activities of our lesson today: the students making a line, standing straight, praying, and our greeting. Hopefully, I can get copies of such videos and pictures that other teachers have taken.

My room in the convent is quite a mess, so I spent so time after lunch organizing. It won’t be long before I have to pack all of the gifts, souvenirs, clothes, and teaching materials back into my suitcases for my departure. It will be interesting to see if I can fit everything. I got a last minute email from Chuck Sensei, and he needed my help for his sixth and seventh period classes. I helped Chuck during those lessons with the fourth graders. We focused on the phrase, “Where do you want to go?” We also practiced the names of fruits, vegetables, and parts of a person’s face. Following each review we played a game simply called Guess what’s Missing. The students enjoyed the games. I think the face one was the most entertaining because the person on the PowerPoint would be missing parts of his face. The face game also gave the students practice with plural nouns, something the Japanese have difficulties with. For example, “He is missing eyebrows.”

By the end of the school day I had taught first grade and fourth grade, but my work after school had me teaching other age groups as well. Afrela Sensei asked me to help her prepare some materials for the Discovery: Australia students. I helped her create sample thank you notes for the students to practice writing so they will be able to thank their host families and new friends in Australia. We all met in the science room and I started by explaining the opening of the letter. We gave the students templates and had them trace the content of the letter. When they finished tracing, then they practiced writing their own. For the most part, their letters will be the same, but I created a space for them to add personal comments about their favorite part of their stay. I think the students will make good use of the thank you letter handouts and lesson. With the few minutes that remained, I practiced conversational English with the students and made sure they understood the uses of the phrases included in their study packet. I wish I had more time to work with this group of students, but my schedule won’t allow me to meet with them again.

Yoko and the kids picked me up from school and we went shopping for a new swimsuit. I have a suit with me, but I wanted one more suitable for long-distance swimming. At first I thought of buying a wetsuit, but they are too hot and my size would have to be special ordered here in Japan. We went to a sporting goods store and I found some sandals, a swimsuit, and a shirt for swimming. Seeing as I will be swimming in the sea a lot, the shirt will protect me from the sunlight. I think I am ready to go to enei gaashuku now.

At home, Yoko made some Japanese curry rice. Curry rice is very good, so I was excited to hear that it was our dinner. After dinner we had some fun talking, playing with the dogs, and enjoying each other’s company. Tonight was my last night here at the Arai’s house. Tomorrow I will be on a train to the Mie prefecture, where I will stay until Saturday. The Arai’s are fun people and each of them has their own unique, interesting, and enjoyable personality. I will miss them dearly and I am very grateful for their kindness; I feel like part of the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home