Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 54: The Real Deal

After a long sleep, it was easy for me to wake at five this morning. I went to the bath downstairs and got ready for what would surely be an enjoyable, but long day. We all ate breakfast, put our swimsuits on, and walked to the beach. The sun was already burning hot this morning, but at least the water is cool and refreshing. In the morning there was a still mist floating all along the shoreline from the waves crashing on the breakers. Today we practiced more for the final swimming events. I have been put in charge of warming up the group A1, section 3 students. I swam with all of the groups again, but took it easy since I will be swimming a lot more.

Everyone went back to the hotel for a rest and lunch. I took a shower, just to feel clean for a short while. For lunch we had eggs, and chicken over rice. The Japanese name translate to something like, "parent and child" over rice, which makes sense but it is a bit strange for the name of a food. We only had some time to rest before putting our swimsuits back on, reapplying the sunblock, and taking the walk back to the seaside for another swim. Urayama Sensei was sure to tell me, "this is the main event." First, group A1 swam for one hour and made four laps around the buoys. I am not sure the distance yet, but I will check with Urayama Sensei. Unlike the other teachers, I swam without fins or a kickboard. I wanted to swim just like the students. It was a workout, but a great accomplishment for us all too. As if that swim was not enough, group B2 started their long-distance about five minutes after the first group finished; I was back in the water swimming again. Group B2 swam for forty minutes, and a little over three laps around the bay. With that group I took a kickboard with me, but realized it is difficult to keep pace with it.

The swimming was completed for today, so we went back to the hotel for a shower and dinner. In the hotel lobby, some of the other teachers, volunteers, and I had some coffee. Negasi and his friend were impressed with the reports that I was typing for this blog. I shared a bunch of pictures with them too, which was fun. They don't speak any English, but we still have fun together. Sister Beatrice personally asked me to join the teachers tonight for the nighttime meeting. Urayama Sensei updated everyone on the procedures for tomorrow's swim events, and then Sister Beatrice asked me to come to the front of the room. Sister Beatrice explained her belief that I have been so much more than a student-teacher to the Notre Dame community. Otoh Sensei, the vice principal, shook my hand and told me that I am the best assistant to Notre Dame. It was a special moment for me, seeing the genuine appreciation in the eyes of the principal and vice principal. I hope they could see the appreciation in my eyes. They gave me a card, thanking me for being their "powerful partner" this summer. The teachers gave me two gifts: a clear pencil holder with fish floating inside, and a Japanese-style lantern with the name of this town on it. I was holding back the tears. In all honesty, I think I didn't expect this moment because I didn't want it to come. I don't want the goodbyes to start.

We shared some sushi, sweets, and tea before calling it a night. This camp is almost over already! Time goes so quickly. This week has flown by...this month...this summer! I suppose the obvious conclusion is that, contrary to most people's outlook on life, we do not have time to waste or time to wait. Do what you want to do...do it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home